Thinking about Critical Thinking in Education More Holistically
I don’t know if this is a complete list……but its a start:
1. Analysis of Skills of Argument
2. Analysis of system/Systems Thinking
3. Reading Someone (ie are they telling the truth)
4. Audience Analysis
5. Emotional Quotient (EQ). This could be broken down into 4 or 5 categories.
6. Imagination/Creativity (writing + solution/product + collaboration)
7. Problem solving (root cause)
8. Strategic thinking
9. Reading behind the words. (Reading the implied. Uncovering assumptions)
10. Personal self-reflection (ethics, skills, etc..)
11. Breaking through personal assumptions, blocks, barriers (sign & signified or fears). Getting out of your own way.
12. Source analysis/Media analysis/Critical media analysis (some decent overlap with #1)
To be honest, when we talk about critical thinking, we don’t typically refer to #3, #5, or #11 in academic settings as critical thinking. Its possible that its part of an overall suite of critical thinking, smart thinking, or smart living.