Rob Bell Speaking at Vanderbilt for his book What We Talk about When We Talk about God
The talk covers some of the core concepts from the book. The book is a pretty good read (much better than his very controversial Love Wins….which was a discussion of the nature of Hell….which ignited a debate)
You might fast forward to about 10 minutes in (you don’t need to listen to all the introductions).
What is the role of Christians in 2013?
Maintain Good works
Meet Urgent needs
Do not live unproductive lives
Remember what God has always planned that we spend our lives helping others
Let all you do done in love.
(1 Corinthians 16:14)
Accept People Unconditionally
• Romans 15:7
• James 2:13
• John 8:2-11
• Galatians 6:1
Affirm People Continually
• 1 Thessalonians 5:11
• Galatians 6:2
• Matthew 22:37-40
• James 1:19
• Ephesians 4:29
• 1 Timothy 2:1-4
• 2 Corinthians 1:11
Assist People Eagerly
• Galatians 6:3
• Matthew 20:25-28
• Proverbs 3:27-28
Church = Family.
At our DNA & cellular level.
Barriers: What keeps this church from growing?
3) Multiple ways of doing church
4) Short term giving–versus investment, accountability, and goals. (aka anti-throwing money at the “problem”)
5) Inclusion versus Exclusion. Inclusion trumps just acceptance.
• “As you go…bring the gospel”
• Service Projects & Events
You can check out my earlier post on this topic here: The Purpose of the Church and the Role of Christians.
Foundational Concepts on the Purpose of the Church:
1. God has a play for the life of each human being (1 Timonthy 2:3-4)
2. The primary “calling” or mission for Christians is in the world and not on the church property. (Mark 16:15)
3. Many Christians are unskilled in relating their faith to daily life. (Hebrews 5:12-14)
4. The primary task of the church is to develop mature disciples ford minitry in the world. (Ephesians 4:11-12)
8. Spiritual leaders much begin communicating agin.
One through five seem to relate to an individual level and six through eight are perhaps more institutional.
The Churches Purpose as Articulated in the Bible:
• Matthew 28:18-20
• Acts 2: 40-47
• Ephesians 4:11-12
• Galatians 6:10
Four Core Purposes and Roles of the Church and its Leaders
Random list of ideas:
Expression (story telling/poetry)
Story of our lives in the Bible.
• What are the lessons they need to learn? (could this be replicated with older folks)