Edwards will endorse Obama for the Democratic Nominee in 2008–I’ll call it now.
Who Will Edwards Endorse?
I think a strong case can be made that Edwards will endorse Obama. Five basic reasons will motivate Edwards to endorse B-rock:
1) Both agree on changing power in Washington DC
2) Obama’s lack of polarization
3) Obama’s electability particularly with independents. Obama won’t galvanize the GOP base to vote not-democrat.
4) Obama’s desire to cross race and class lines.
5) I imagine Edward also understands that Obama can create a bigger movement and create greater cultural change than can Clinton.
Ultimately the trump card is this: its crystal clear that Edward sees changing power politics in Washington as the prerequisite to any fundamental change on urgent policy issues. Certainly, in the debates he seemed to be tipping his cards in the direction of Obama. The only issue that might divide the two is health care.
When Will Edwards Endorse?
Edwards will endorse within a month. He was pretty waiting to see the delegate divide after Super Tuesday. (If Edwards makes it into the administration, I predict HUD or perhaps he will lobby for a department devoted to poverty issues–perhaps even related to its international manifestations.)
What about Al Gore’s Endorsement for the Democratic Nomination
Gore won’t endorse. As a Nobel peace prize winner and advocate of the environmental movement, he may want to stay above the political fold. To him, creating bridges with whomever eventually wins will be the most important objective. To me, though, every day he doesn’t endorse is a snub to the Clintons. The advantage here for Gore is that if anything the Clintons owe Gore, not the other way around.
UPDATE: Why Edwards can’t endorse Hillary in his own words on YouTube. Enjoy!
Who will Edwards endorse? Why?