What social obligations does a business have
Defining Business Ethics and Obligations
Corporate social responsibility is increasingly making news headlines. Two rubrics which are popular are the double bottom line and triple bottom line (people, planet, and profit) as rubrics for doing business ethically:
• Fair and Just Wage: Businesses should provide fair wages usually defined as a living wage
• Dignity: Respect human dignity and diversity
• Health and Welfare: Affirm the whole person, including health and family of its workers.
• Honesty: Honesty in all business dealings.
• Do No Harm: Where ever possible, businesses should do no harm to community, environment, or economy.
• Community Commons: Organizations which use the community commons of natural resources arguably have a responsibility to replenish the resources or to otherwise pay back the community.
How are businesses obligated to behave? What obligations to businesses have?