Top Twenty Open APIs and Mashup Resources for Web Developers
Here are the best 10 Open APIs for Web Designers and Developers
APIs, which stand for application programmable interfaces, are one of the ways niche content gets distributed online. Its a great way for web developers to get quality content for websites in a way that saves both time and money. (I believe most are open APIs):
3) Yahoo APIs at the Yahoo Developer Network
5) Twitter API
7) Yelp API
10) Zillow local data API (see also Google, Yahoo, Yelp for more local and neighborhood data apis) Check out the Truila API for developers too (it has 2 apis: location info + truila stats) It would be interesting to research how real estate agents and web developers are using these apis. The Zillow api is probably the most popular of these.
–real estate APIs
–78 real estate mashups
Part II: More Open APIs and Mashup Resources
1) Flickr API and you can get started with the Flickr API at Yahoo
3) Webmashup.com has a list of 100’s of APIs subcategorized.
4) Open APIs State of the Web is incredibly impressive coverage of APIs.
5) Keep up with API and development trends at Mashup News at CNET
6) Open Library API (for books?)
8) 6 Basic Truths about APIs from O’Reily as well as How to Roll Out an API from O’Reily
9) Read Write Web on Trends in Mashups and APIs (arguably dated due to 2007 publication date, but still quite good)
10) Stephen Spencer has great notes on the SEO importance of open APIs.
11) Betaworks companies have created these fun and helpful APIs (Inside.Out, Twitter, chartbeat, switchbait, bitly, tipjoy)
Whats your favorite open API, mashup, or open API resource?