Foods Erin Brockovich: If This Doesn’t Make You Want to Reform our Broken Food System, I don’t know what will
Here is some additional data on food allergies–I’ve included the link at the bottom:
• Food allergy is a growing public health concern.
• As many as 15 million people have food allergies. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
• An estimated 9 million, or 4%, of adults have food allergies. 2, 3, 5
• Nearly 6 million or 8% of children have food allergies with young children affected most. 3, 4, 6, 7, 8
• Boys appear to develop food allergies more than girls. 5
• Food allergies may be a trigger for or associated with other allergic conditions, such as atopic dermatitis9 and eosinophilic gastrointestinal diseases. 10
• Although childhood allergies to milk11, egg12, wheat13 and soy14 generally resolve in childhood, they appear to be resolving more slowly than in previous decades, with many children still allergic beyond age 5 years. Allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, fish, or shellfish15 are generally lifelong allergies.
Food Allergies are on the Rise
• The prevalence of food allergies and associated anaphylaxis appears to be on the rise. 6
• According to a study released in 2008 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention about an 18% increase in food allergy was seen between 1997 and 2007. 1
• The prevalence of peanut allergy among children appears to have tripled between 1997 and 2008. 16
Other Related Videos on the America/Western Diet and Changing It:
• Rip Esselstyn TEDxAustin talk on the case for the all plant diet. You can learn about his Engine 2 Diet here. (Rip cites a number of interesting nutritional stats as a part of his own story–for the average person this is probably more useful and personal than Jamie Oliver’s talk which is more systems-based).
• Jamie Oliver’s TED Talk