What is the philosophical background of Shop Class as Soulcraft by Matthew Crawford
I’ve read a bit of Shop Class as Soulcraft by Matthew Crawford. The following is what I think is the philosophical background based on my own exploration of philosophy:
• Dewey (indirectly perhaps along with other pragmatists)
• Heidegger & other critiques of technology
• Marx & other critiques of capitalism/work in industrial society (aka Neo-marxists)
• Classics (more indirectly)
• Baudrillard (a bit)
• Criticism of Orgs
• Indicts of Taylorism, Scientific Managerialism, and consultants (particularly from humanities)
• Indicts of Speed (perhaps Paul Virillo)
Here are some of his interviews about Shopclass for Soulcraft.
If you have time to spare, this is an interesting read. It is an interesting exploration of what it means to be a knowledge worker in the 21st century.