Seven Ways Newspapers are Monetizing their Content
1. E-learning (NYT)
2. E-commerce (PBS) *
3. Daily deals
4. Lead gen to local business
5. Display ads (low revenue, especially versus content)
6. Niche papers are using a freemium model, with a paywall (one of the University publications does this).
7. Blended model of print edition + online edition (I believe some publications in the Readers Digest family may do this. The economist might too.)
* This can also include niche industry reports on an e-commerce basis.