Bill Gate’s position on the use of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) in agricultural development aid
You can listen to their argument here:
Bill Gates: Accept GMOs, or Millions Will Starve
They might also point out that our perceptions don’t take into account the real question that farmers in the developing world have to ask themselves between starving (or being deeper in poverty & more dependent) and using GMOS:
The Council for Biotechnology Information ” Bill Gates
Also, I would probably point out that to the extent he keeps
1) farmers farming
2) prices lower for consumers (and less subject to fluxuations)
He probably also reduces poverty significantly, which is actually a net drag on environmental sustainability.
In addition, I would guess Bill Gate could make some combination of 5 arguments:
1) Green revolution has saved millions of lives
2) Organics are imperfect or can’t scale as much (ie reliance is tantamount to death in the developing world)
3) GMOS = decreased reliance on pesticides, which is a direct trade off with the problems described by anti-GMO advocates. (You have to make a forced choice)
4) The collateral damage of GMOs is minimal
5) Engagement versus Isolation is the answer to this problem. They get to be a leader in leading and otherwise incentivizing the development of the technology to optimize lives saved and minimize the damage. Thats better than what would otherwise be the status quo of companies using 2nd rate technology. (ie the Foundation gets to raise the bar on the industry)
My guess is they would focus on 1, 3, and 5.