What are the best schools for social entrepreneurship?
The field of social entrepreneurship and innovation is rather wide–I would suggest you answer a couple of the following questions:
1. What is your passion?
2. What sector or area do you see yourself in? Non-profit? For profit?
3. US? India, Africa, etc..? Social work or more business oriented?
4. Are you planning on launching a venture, being involved in a startup, or participating in a larger venture?
5. Where do you need to fill your gaps? (i.e. what are you trying to develop)
These rankings aren’t perfect–these are journalists or journalist/bloggers in the case of Poets and Quants–but they may be helpful in helping you discover some of the top programs:
• CNN: Best for social entrepreneurs
• Poets and Quants: Social Entrepreneurship: The Best Schools & Programs
You might also like to look at these:
• Beyond Gray Pinstripes: Top 100 MBA Programs
• Net Impact Rankings: Page on Netimpact
[these are theoretically more research based, feedback bases, and systematic in addressing what constitutes a great school for social entrepreneurship]
You might consider looking at programs which have strengths in the overlapping areas you are concerned about. This will give you more flexibility in terms of skills sets and picking classes.
You may also want to look at the area of international development or non-profit management–depending on your passion.
Three keys–get some feedback from outside sources:
1. Talk to former graduates.
2. Talk to the career center.
3. Talk to practitioners. (ie people in your future job or near your future job). Perhaps one or more of these may be mentors to you.