Summary of the Discipline of Finishing by Conor Neil
Summary of the Discipline of Finishing by Conor Neil TEDxTalk
(aka semi-spoiler alerts ahead…….):
1) Who would you bet on?
2) Marshmellow Test (Self-Control)
3) Warren Buffer Criteria for hiring/betting on someone
• Energy (bias toward action)
• Intelligence (Adaptive intelligence)
4) You own 100% of yourself
5) Tools for the 3 attributes:
• Write Stuff Down–Intelligence of a moment versus 6 months (what was I thinking? What was I feeling? Who was I with?) Write your life down.
• High Performance Athletes (interviews with Spanish high performance athletes).
—Marathoner: Never thinks more than 15 minutes ahead. Anybody can run 15 minutes.
—Swimmer: Stroke, stroke, breath, stroke, stroke, breath).
• 1 marshmellow at a time. Whats the next step? Don’t let your mind jump forward.)
• How does a child spell LOVE? T-I-M-E (open your diary). So often we slip up (empathy/understanding). What really matters?
Success isn’t one massive good decisions….little decisions.
Failure is repeated bad decisions. Success is repeated, consistent good habits.
We overestimate what we can do in a day…..and underestimate what we can do in a year.
Enjoy the experience. His mind is there. Feeling completely alive.
Diary matches value. Life 100% present. Experience every little piece.
Rule 1 for Success:
• TV (take the batteries out of the remote)
• Running (put your shoes by the door)
What will happen in 25 years? Look at the most successful group of people because they’ve lived their lives fully. Who would you bet on?