How to deal with unethical negation tactics–7 Strategies for Ethical Negotiators
Here are seven tactics for dealing with unethical negotiation (the first and final are both baseline considerations):
1. Create common ground. Establish expectations of ethical behavior. Behave in a way consonant with ethical negotiation
2. Question to find out why they are doing it. Ask why they are being unfair–and how they would feel/behave if the tables were turned.
3. Ask them to “go to the balcony.” (metaphor)
4. Cool down time. Take a break.
5. I would think bracketing this behavior or contrasting it versus other behavior might be effective.
6. Establish a protection clause.
7. Use peers or coalitions to check abuses.
This core framework should help as well to establish more trust and relationship–I’ve included it to support #3: