Teaching Writing/Speech Philosophy
- Humans are truth seeking and pattern seeking beings.
- Humans are rational and deliberative beings.
- Humans are social, communal, and relational beings.
- Human relations are governed by ethical value choices.
- Questions drive discovery.
- Research is the transmission of discovery.
- Developing critical thinking is key to learners. This primarily occurs through peer to peer discussion, class discussion, essays, revisions, and project based learning.
- The goal is to provide students of critical thinking.
To be added.
Six other main goals for the course:
- Exposure to great ideas and specifically great ideas in conflict. (ideas in dialog and conflict)
- Great speeches & great pieces (although not necessarily “classic,” but culturally, ethically, and relationally relevant)
- Critical thinking/Class discussion
- Leveraging digital tools & search in a practical way