Twelve Reasons People are Leaving the Church
Why are Christians leaving the church?
1) misconceptions about God, church, and/or Christianity (people that see God as a cosmic grandfather, cosmic vending machine, cosmic genie)
2) social isolation (lack of community and/or relationship)
3) inability or unwillingness to deal with the emotional and spiritual issues of suffering
4) never going deeper in the faith
5) not having someone invest in them personally and spiritually as a mentor
6) unresolved emotional/social conflict
7) skewed model or past (ie lingering family or father issues)
8) not seeing fruit. Not being able to identify.
9) not understanding the significance of Christianity or sin.
10) caught up in negative culture or media that appears to be benign
11) pride, rationalization, denialism
12) friends and family members who look the other way for too long.
These are all interdependent in various ways.
And scoring highly on this list, probably increases the risk.