Seven Ways Jesus Christ Claimed to be God in the New Testament
Jesus Claimed to be the following:
To be the great “I Am” (John 8:58)
- 58 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!”
To share God’s glory (John 17:5)
- 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.
To be equal with God (John 10:30)
- 30 I and the Father are one.”
- 25 The woman said, “I know that Messiah” (called Christ) “is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.”
- 61 But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer. Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?” 62 “I am,” said Jesus. “And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”
To be worthy of worship (John 5:22)
- 22 Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son,
To be equal in authority with God (Matthew 28:18)
- 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
To be able to answer prayer in His name (John 14:13)
- 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
Here are seven ways in which Jesus claimed divinity or demonstrated His divinity:
- Jesus’ actions symbolically communicated this via demonstration. For instance, His miracles.
- The overarching narrative of the Gospels points to this.
- The divinity of the prophecy about Him coming true. (ie the Old Testament/New Testament connection implies divinity for all the prophecy to come true in His personage)
- Passages that talk about his relationship with Father God.
- Passages that talk about Jesus’ role (particularly with relationship to the future)
- He was put to death on the cross for being “The King of the Jews” (this means that at some point He made those types of claims). As Daniel points out if he wasn’t divine there would be “no reason to kill Him.”
- The Resurrection (see also miracles)
I also recommend, four videos on did Jesus claim to be God.
Even better are quotes from Michael Birds book on the subject of Jesus’ divinity.