The Limits of Scientism: Discovering the Limits of Science
The following is a direct quote from Dr. John Oakes:
Questions Science is good at answering:
- How many?
- By what means?
Questions Science is very bad at answering:
- Why am I here?
- Is that the right thing to do?
- How valuable am I?
- Does God exist? Does God act (theism)?
- Will that God respond if I pray?
- Do supernatural events (miracles) happen?
- Einstein: “Religion without science is lame but science without religion is blind.”
Dr. Oakes reminds us, “It does not answer the questions that everyone actually cares about.”
I borrowed this from Dr. John Oakes’ lecture notes here.