Critiques of Bart Ehrmans Books
Major Criticisms of Dr. Bart Ehrman’s Books:
Criticisms and Reviews of Bart Ehrman’s books on textual criticism and the New Testament from Bible Gateway:
- Michael Bird (author of the Ehrman rebuttal, mentioned above) lays out five lines of evidence missing from Ehrman’s <em”>How Jesus Became God. Bird elaborates on his points, and shares two excerpts from his rebuttal book How God Became Jesus, at World Magazine.
- Ehrman has written a response to critics of his book. Bird offers a few comments on Ehrman’s defense.
- Rob Bowman has an excellent breakdown and analysis of both books, fairly listing their strengths and weaknesses.
- Popular politics/culture blogger Andrew Sullivan has been extensively discussing How Jesus Became God with his readers, publishing a variety of both positive and negative points.
- Andreas Köstenberger pens a thoughtful but critical review of How Jesus Became God at The Gospel Coalition.
- Fuller Theological Seminary professor J.R. Daniel Kirk has written a multi-part review of How Jesus Became God, and believes that its Christian critics are misunderstanding Ehrman’s argument. Bird has responded to the review.
Here is the original source for these critiques of Ehrman.
Note: Bart Ehrman is an agnostic/atheist who is critical of the New Testament, but ultimately concludes that the Historical Jesus did live.
I’ve also written a number of critiques of Ehrman on Compassion in Politics (this blog)