Shawn Anchor on Happiness: Habits, Science, Research, Meaning, and Purpose
After his research, he was able to narrow the answer down to 5 daily habits…
1. EXERCISE: Cardiovascular exercise for a minimum of 15 mins.
2. MEDITATE: Meditate for a minimum of two minutes. He states the meditation can be as simple as closing your eyes and focusing on your breathing for those two minutes, regardless of your location. You can even be sitting in a cubicle.
3. THANKS/PRAISE: Give thanks or praise. Say thank you to someone or give praise to someone for something specific. However, it must be a new person each day.
4. GRATITUDE: Write down three things that you are grateful for. However, it must be from something that occurred in the past 24 hours, and needs to be different every day.
The reason for this is because they found that most people would write a generic “health,” “family,” “God,” etc. which causes you to become desensitized. Therefore, it needs to be within the past 24 hours and different every day.
5. POSITIVE EVENT: Write down three specific details about a positive event that occurred in the past 24 hours. The more specific the better.
- Source: Phil Michaels